Sunday, October 17, 2010

Update

First, I want to say how excited we are about the response we got from the last post about the walk! We had so many people that want to come to Houston to walk with us in February. It will be a great day to spend together and raise awareness for mitochondrial disease. Remember if you can’t go to Houston, you can walk with us virtually from home.

Next, I had a lot of people that said they wanted to comment on the post last time but had to have a profile and didn’t know what to do. I believe all you have to do is create an account with a username and password. Once you do that, you can leave comments.

Finally, I wanted to update everyone on the latest news. I took Cal to the doctor last Monday, October 11th. It was just an appointment with his pediatrician to get his 18 month shots. What was supposed to be a simple visit to get shots turned into a very sad and emotional day. My mom was with me at the doctor that day, and we ended up having a very intense and emotional talk with Dr. McKenzie. Dr. McKenzie mentioned that his breathing was very shallow. She also told me that she thought it was time for me to stay home with Cal. I think it shocked me at first because we have been going about our daily routine and a part of me forgets that Cal has a terminal illness. I have just been waiting for the day to come where he is healed. I think I was so upset because I felt like my hope was gone. I did appreciate Dr. McKenzie being so honest with me though. She is the best doctor I have ever seen in my 26 years of life. She is caring and so compassionate. She told me that this is time I won’t be able to get back with Cal, and I couldn’t agree with her more. She said we can always make more money but we can’t have more time. So, with that being said, I called in for a sub on Tuesday and haven’t been back to school. I will be off for six months and looking forward to every minute I get to spend with Cal. I am so blessed to work for a principal that is caring and compassionate, too.

Another thing we talked about on Monday was hospice. Dr. McKenzie wanted me to spend a month with Cal by myself at home and then start to think about hospice. However, I think we might be looking into it a little sooner. Cal is very uncomfortable and has a lot of secretions in his throat. The only way to get medicine to help those things is through hospice. It is the hardest decision we have had to make thus far. No parent should have to decide when to call hospice. We have to stop being selfish though and help him be comfortable. Wouldn’t we want to be comfortable if we were in pain?

We continue to need your prayers. This is a very difficult journey that we are getting through with our faith in God and love and support from family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney, I am overtaken with emotion as I read your precious words and think of the situation you find yourself in. It is absolutely true, we should never as parents find ourselves in the situation you and Marcus find yourself in with your son. But I want you to please know that the encouragement, hope, faith, and unwavering love you display for not only Cal, but for our Lord, does not go unnoticed, neither by us, nor by our Lord. Your fierce determination to see His will for you through this is beyond words and I can only express that I admire you beyond measure. I will continue to lift all three of you in prayer, and if there is anything else that I can help with (even grocery runs!), please just let me know. You are loved by so many, and even more by our Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto everything Mary just said! My heart breaks for yall, because no one should every have to go through what you and Marcus and your families are going through and the decisions you are having to make. Imagion if you didn't have God and your faith during this time. Cal is just so precious and his little life has blessed so many people and will continue to do so. I am so glad that you are taking off work and getting to be at home with your sweet boy. Ive told you before, but if you need anything...please let me know, I will be happy to help anyway that I can. Yall are in our prayers and we think about Cal daily. I'm not sure if we will be able to go to Houston or not, but if we can't we would be honored to virtually walk on Cal's team! Love yall - Molly

    ReplyDelete